POW:The Power of Words

Back to Article
Back to Article

POW:The Power of Words

Angel Valdez, MS Reporter

In these days, much of the technology has changed. Now we don’t have box TVs, we have flat screen TVs — with full color. Then there are iPhones galore. If I asked you, “Do you remember when the iPhone5 came out? How about iPhone6?” Would you remember? Technology has come like a fast storm, and as a result, books are not being read as much as they used to be read.

Education Department Statistics show that now only 19% of the U.S. population reads for pleasure; 43% reads by force, and 38% sometimes does not read at all!

It is weird, right? How some people would say that the books are like escaping reality, while others will say that the electronics, and technology are like escaping reality. What do I say about this? I believe both are correct, in their own way, that is. I myself LOVE my Minecraft. I could spend a whole day on it.  But then there are those times when I just want to snuggle up on my chair and read a book. Things have changed, and will keep changing, technology and more.  The power is not in technology, in a way, yes, it in books. A single phrase can change a whole entire day.

“One kind word can change someone’s entire day.” Anonymous

“Words can inspire. And words can destroy. Choose yours well.” Robin Sharma

“Raise your word, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” Rumi

Books are like technology, but you have to find the information. It is not “Siri” waiting for you to call her. Books are always waiting for you to open their pages and read an adventure, romance, or mystery. Books are POW in a, well, book!

Attachments area