How to Not Quit your Diet

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Not Quit your Diet

Have you ever tried to keep a diet but you gave up after a while? Or maybe you’ve never tried one before, and you’d like to but don’t know where to start. Here are 5 tips and tricks on keeping a healthy diet.

The first step in keeping any diet is by starting with realistic expectations. Don’t say you want to lose 20 pounds in two weeks. Having unrealistic expectations for your diet can be troubling, and it may cause you to quit before you even start. An example of a realistic goal would be to lose 10 pounds in two weeks.

Along with realistic goals, another necessary part of carrying your diet is to have the proper sense of motivation to actually reach your goal. If your goal is to lose weight in order to please someone else, you most likely won’t achieve your goal. You have to want to lose weight for you, instead of telling yourself to go on a diet for someone else. Think of how the diet will benefit you. Will it make you happy? If not, there isn’t much point of going on a diet. Motivation varies from person to person, find what drives you.

A third recommendation for keeping your diet is to keep track of what you eat, and your accomplishments during the diet. If you’ve lost five pounds since you started, celebrate and remember it. Keeping track of those achievements can serve as another motivator to keep going. You should also keep track of what you eat. Tracking your calories can ensure that you don’t go overboard on anything. There are different apps that can help you keep track of calories easier.

In addition to watching what you eat, exercising definitely helps burn off calories and improves your metabolism. Walking, running, and riding your bicycle are good examples of things you can do to burn calories.

A final tip to keep your diet is to drink plenty of water. Drinking water can fill you so you eat less. Along with that, drinking water increases your metabolism. Make sure you don’t drink too much water, or it can cause you to temporarily gain a bit of weight.